Once you have a positive pregnancy test, you may qualify for a free ultrasound. Ultrasounds are at the discretion of our clinic staff, in order to ensure the best possible care for our clients.
The purpose of an ultrasound is to:
- Detect fetal heartbeat
- Determine gestational age
- Detect the location of the pregnancy (pregnancies that develop outside of the uterus, known as ectopic pregnancies, can be life threatening)
- Determine the viability of the pregnancy (up to 1 in 4 pregnancies will end naturally in a miscarriage).
Note: the purpose of the ultrasound is not to determine gender; nor is the ultrasound provided for entertainment purposes.
When can I have an ultrasound?
- Ultrasounds are scheduled according to how far along you are from the first day of your last period and may be scheduled if you have a positive pregnancy test at A Woman’s Choice.
- To have an ultrasound done the same day of your pregnancy test will be dependent on how far along you are and if we have appointments available.
If you are considering abortion, an ultrasound will provide critical information. The type of abortion and cost of the procedure is determined by how far along you are, so an ultrasound will inform you what options are available to you. Also, if signs of a possible miscarriage are detected during your ultrasound, you may not need an abortion.
The ultrasound is your best tool to gain medical information about your pregnancy in order to make an informed choice.